If you are still using oil to heat your home, there has never been a better time to make the switch to the ‘clean heat’ of a heat pump. The City of Seattle is offering a rebate up to $1,500 to switch to an eligible energy-efficient heat pump system! Here are six reasons why now is the best time to make the switch:
- Heating oil is dirty. Burning fossil fuels contributes to climate change and air pollution. In addition, underground oil tanks leak over time and can contaminate soil and groundwater, contributing to pollution of our water system and the Puget Sound.
- Heating oil is expensive. Additionally, people who use oil to heat their homes most often have to pay for a full heating season’s worth of oil all at one time. Heat pumps cut your overall heating costs by about 50%!
- Heat pumps are adaptable to year-round comfort, which includes air-conditioning! Since you need to heat your home in the winter anyway, why not invest in a system that provides air-conditioning too? No more muggy nights this summer!
- Seattle’s electricity is local and cleanly sourced. Did you know that Seattle City Light provides carbon neutral electricity?
- The off-season is the best time to install a heat pump. The heating season is the busiest season for contractors – by installing a heat pump in the off-season you have more time to get additional bids and to coordinate your project – plus you’ll be well prepared when next winter arrives.
- Additional rebates! Once you’ve switched to clean electricity to heat and cool your home, you might be eligible for Seattle City Light’s insulation and window rebates!